It’s the start of a new year. I don’t really believe in making New Year Resolutions, but there are some things I hope I get better at this year. One of them is finding more time to read. Maybe you are looking for a good book at the moment. (Or maybe you’re more like me with a stack of 20 awaiting me finding some time to sit still.) Here my list of 10 good reads…
1. STIR: Spiritual Transformation in Relationships by Mindy Caliguire
Mindy is this year’s speaker for the women’s retreat. This is a good explanation of the spiritual life being a journey.
2. Foolproofing Your Life by Jan Silvious
Everyone’s got unavoidable people in their lives that are just down right difficult and even foolish. This is a great book for learning to deal with a fool.
3. Return of the Prodigal Son: A Story of Homecoming by Henri Nouwen
An all time favorite! Reminds me that God has loved me infinitely and wants me to love others like He does.
4. Bread and Wine: A Love Letter to Life Around the Table with Recipes by Shauna Niequist
Fun read. Light hearted, good stories about life, food and family.
5. Does God really love me? - Do You Love me by Debbie Swindoll
Brief, foundational, and powerful. Excellent read for understanding the love of God.
6. Making all Things New: an Invitation to the Spiritual Life by Henri Nouwen.
Only 97 pages. Best short read on the spiritual life and how God transforms us to look more like Christ.
7. Inside Out by Larry Crabb
This book turned me inside out! Explores the harmful ways in which our desires become a demanding spirit, wanting our own way rather than God’s plan for our lives.
8. Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas
God’s desire in marriage is to make us holy (more like Christ), not to make us happy.
9. Grace Based Parenting by Tim Kimmel
Really good, practical advice about how to both love and disciple your kids.
10. The Smart Step-Family by Ron L. Deal
Compares the journey of the Israelites from Egypt to the Promised Land to the difficulties of blending a family. A good reminder that change takes time.